Skip to main content

Mike S tweets The Goonies

Once a week our mad twit Mike S from the Corner of Terror will shanghai The Basement's Twitter account and tweet along to a non-horror movie, all for your Internet pleasure. Cool, yes!?! We think so. 

For his latest foray into film criticism at 140 characters or less, The S opts to revisit Richard Donner's 1985 comedy/adventure The Goonies starring Corey Feldman and that kid who played Short Round in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Read on, brave web nerd!

Mike S here to tweet along to tonight since last night's attempt with was such a mess...

The bunks in the jail cell at the beginning of the movie remind me of some of army bunks I've slept on...  

I wonder what movie is playing on the TV during the opening car chase. Anybody know?  

And cue THE Corey fucking Feldman- 1980's movie icon...  

Whenever I see Ke Huy Quan (Data), I can't help but remember him as Short Round, and always hear the "Indiana Jones" theme...  

: Jeff Cohen, who played Chunk in is now a successful attorney...

You known Sean Astin's face hasn't changed much between and his role as Samwise in ...

I wonder how much Pepsi paid to have their product used at the 06:48 mark... I also saw a couple of MAD Magazines...

Who here has ever done the "Truffle Shuffle"? *raises hand...*  

: Jeff Cohen (Chunk) had chicken pox during filming , and you can see the pox scars during the "Truffle Shuffle"...

Rube Goldberg machines are always interesting to watch I find...  

Corey Feldman always played the annoying smart asses in his movies...  

I always wished we had an attic like in the movies...  

You know... I think I have the pirate book that the Brand looks through in the attic...  

I think we all have that one friend for whom you can do a countdown to chaos upon his touching something...  

If you were a pirate what would you name your ship? I'd call mine "The Black Kracken"...  

Cue the villianous businessman who wants to kick families out of there homes to build a golf course...  

Who remembers watching the Cyndi Lauper video that plays on the TV during ?

How exactly does one commit "Hari Krishna"?  

Cue a verbal product placement as Chunk mentions "Baby Ruth"...  

Whenever I watch , always seem to find Stephanie (played by Martha Plimpton) to be more attractive than Andrea...

What would you say was your "Gooniest" adventure growing up?  

I was wondering what the hell a rooster was doing crowing during the scene when arrive at the restaurant... It was my watch.

Anne Ramsey is such a joy to watch in her crotchety, mean momma roles...  

That is some seriously nasty assed water into those cups... Ick.  

Strange growling sounds coming from the cellar are seldom good news...  

Aaaaaaand... Cue... SLOTH!  

I just noticed that there is a LOT of screaming in ...

: "I've had all I can stand, and I can't stand no more!"

What's your favorite ice cream flavour? Chunk seems to like any and all flavours...  

I love the "Psycho" like music when they find the stiff in the cold room with the ice cream...  

I don't ever recall my brother and I drawing pistols while arguing over pizza like these two crooks...  

I'd like to know where Spielberg got the shirt and pants that Chunk is wearing... They're kinda cool...  

I love Chunk's lines... "I love the dark... I love the dark... but I hate nature..."  

The scene with the pips always makes me smile...  

Am I the only person that cringed when the blender scene took place?  

: During the blender scene, Chunk says his sister's name- which was also the name of Jeff Cohen's real life sister.

: Trying to calm a distraught woman and coming across a skeleton...

: If you find a string buried under the sand... don't tug on it...

I... I... I forgot about the scene with the bats... I don't like bats. Really. I don't like bats. *closes eyes*  

Troy is such a douche... but I knew people like him back in High School, sad to say.  

And cue the start of that great heroic team of Chunk and Sloth!

I love how these movies always have the inspiring, heroic, speech to keep the heroes moving forward.

The 1:07:28 marks displays a very well done example of Product Placement for Baby Ruth.

: The desire for chocolate has been known to give women superhuman strength...

One Eyed Willy really had a thing for Rube Goldberg machines...  

Who remembers what their first kiss was like?  

I'm not entirely sure I'd enter a cave that looks like a skull...  

Anybody else find it hard to tweet when you've got a cat playing with your ponytail?  

I look forward to the day when my piano lessons will help me solve a pirate puzzle...  

: "If you hit the wrong note, we'll all 'B flat'. heh..."

I would've had SOOO much fun during the water slide scene...  

: The actors weren't allowed to see the pirate ship until it was time to film the scene of them finding it.

Does anyone remember the name of the pirate ship?  

We all have one friend that you can tell is okay because they're complaining about something...  

Ow... I think a pair of chattering teeth clamped to my nuggets would be quite painful...  

Mouth is like a chipmunk storing jewels instead of nuts...  

"HEY YOU GUYS!" marks the dramatic Errol Flynn entrance of Chunk and Sloth!  

Awwww... Cue the romantic music and the kiss between Brandon and Andrea after he saves her...  

I'm guessing the Fratellis didn't figure out that One Eyed Willy loved booby traps despite all of the ones in the caves.  

Did one of the Fratellis go "meta" when he asked his brother whether or not he saw the movie?  

I love explosions in movies...  

Who else was worried about Sloth when he let the boulder go in order to go save his family?  

: "Your voice is actually nice... when your mouth isn't screwing it up..."

And cue the Domino's Pizza product placement... I wonder how many people felt the urge to have pizza after watching this movie?  

The richest family in Astoria speech makes me thing of "It's a Wonderful Life"...  

Ooooo... Pretty sparkly jewels...  

The shot of the pirate ship sailing away is just a beautiful way to end the movie...  

With the pirate ship going over the horizon, this week's tweet along comes to an end. I give a Good!

Tune in to @camethebasement next Sunday at 7 p.m. PST as Mike S. tweets along to another non-horror film.

You can follow Mike S @TerrorCorner
 

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#CocktailHour: Slushtail

  Summer approaches, inspiring thoughts of sunshine, backyard parties, and having a tip and sip with friends.  With that in mind, I bring you this week sunny beverage. To make a slushtail, mix a can of frozen orange juice, a can of frozen lemonade (or limeade), a can of pineapple juice, a couple cups of black tea (or English Breakfast), and two cups of bourbon- such as Southern Comfort, in a pitcher.  When it's all nicely mixed, put it in the freezer until it's a nice slushy consistency. Scoop the slush into a cocktail glass, and pour in some Sprite or 7-Up.  Add a little umbrella for some frivolous fun, and a straw. Voila!  Ready to enjoy. This is a very refreshing drink.  The fruit juices, Sprite, and bourbon- when chilled makes for a great punch-like drink.  The bourbon doesn't overwhelm juices.   In fact, they are all nicely balanced in terms of flavors.  The sourness of the citrus fruits contrasts well with the slightly sweeter Southern Comfort.  It was refreshing enou

Unlock your fate with The Puzzle

When my dad wasn't working, building stuff or being my dad, he was making puzzles. It was a guaranteed way for him to unwind. So it was with great interest that I sat down to watch Italian filmmaker Davide Melini's award-winning short The Puzzle. You see, the mother in the five-minute film likes to relax with puzzles just like my dad. Unfortunately, her good-for-nothing son keeps harassing her for money. Losing herself in her favourite passtime, the mother soon discovers that completing this puzzle might unlock a nightmare. The Puzzle has been an official selection at more European film festivals than you can shake a stick at, and was voted Third Best Italian Film at the Rome International Film Festival in 2008. Having watched it, I'm not surprised. It's a tight little film that hits you hard in the final few seconds. You can tell Melini cut his teeth as an assistant director for legendary Italian filmmaker Dario Argento. But enough chit chat on my part. See if yo

The Animated Addict: "The Adventures of Tintin" (2011)

If you're a 40 + white dude, like myself, you may remember a comic series called " The Adventures of Tintin ".  I know I remember them.  This series, dating back to 1929, got turned into a animated feature film by Steven Spielberg in 2011. After buying a model of ship called The Unicorn, teenaged journalist Tintin finds himself on adventure that will take him from the high seas, to the low deserts, and from the distant past to the present.  With his trusty dog, Snowy, by his side, Tintin uncovers a story connecting two men across the centuries.. . The story is really quite good.  It's well crafted, and high paced- with just enough slow moments to build and develop the world and the characters.  This is the sort of adventure story you'd find in the old serials of the 1930's and '40's.  In fact, it felt like it was the sort of tale that you'd find Indiana Jones undertaking.  I found myself swept up, and swept along as our hero swung from one e